Skip to main content

NBA All-Star game and Trade Deadline

The latter half of February is always an important portion of the NBA season, usually because of the trade deadline. Yes, the All-Star game tends to occur around this time as well, but as I have mentioned before, no one really likes All-Star games, in any sport. The NBA, however, has the unique ability to break this trend, due to its array of other competitions.

In the All-Star game itself, either the East or West won, with an overall score of about 300, I think (as you can see, who cares). But the real excitement occurred earlier in the weekend, with the likes of the dunk contest and the three-point challenge. There are other competitions, such as the shooting challenge, but there's a WNBA player involved in that segment, so................ once again, who cares.

The Slam Dunk competition, however, did impress, although the outcome was certainly expected. "Rookie" standout Blake Griffin (I say "rookie" because he was drafted a year earlier) wowed the crowd with antics alike the performances we have seen from him throughout the year (All available here). JaVale McGee made it to the final as well, yet his dunks were unable to woo the crowd in any fashion similar to Griffin's final dunk, over a car. Yes over a car. With a pass from Baron Davis through the moonroof, or the sunroof? Who knows the difference really?

But the real excitement of this week in basketball came from Blake's assistant, Baron, and many other stars who were shipped off to other teams at the trade deadline. First, let me say, that I love trades. I mean, what's better than a shift of power? It's the closest amount of excitement I can get to being the fan of a winning team. Thus, the trade deadline, where the most shifts happen in a period of 24 hours, is one of my favorite days of any sports season. And the 2011 NBA trade deadline did not disappoint.

The most publicized mid-season trade, perhaps ever, was a "long time comin'". Former Nugget Carmelo Anthony had been wanting a trade since the beginning of the year, and he finally got it. After toying with the idea of ending up in New York or New Jersey, Carmelo, along with Chauncey Billups, became the newest New York Knick. Thus, the Knicks become the third Eastern Conference team, the others being the Heat and the Celtics, to boast three Super Stars. Subsequently, the East becomes more powerful than a single conference has been in recent memory. Yet, ironically, the West still includes NBA powerhouses in San Antonio and Los Angeles (not the Clippers), both of whom are easily capable of beating the best of the East.

Blockbuster trades occurred in other places, as well. Baron Davis, a man who is capable of changing the course of any season for a team ('08 Warriors), has been sent to die in Cleveland. The last place team needed some help, but I doubt Baron will be able to do anything close to bringing the Cavs back to the Lebron Era. As well, there will no longer be any Davis-Griffin alley oops to discuss, and Blake will have to rely on his supporting cast to either throw him great near-rim passes, or just miss really badly. I doubt they will have trouble with the latter.

Other small trades occurred, including the Warriors re-acquiring Troy Murphy, and Kirk Hinrich being essentially switched with Mike Bibby in Atlanta. The Celtics also made headlines by parting ways with Kendrick Perkins, in a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder, bringing a little bit of in-the-paint power to the West. As well, pushes were made for people like Marcus Camby and Chris Paul, yet both were unsuccessful. Overall, the big expected trades happened, in New York and in other small cases, and some shocking trades were made (Boston). Yet many teams that had wanted to receive some talent were unsuccessful, and will continue to remain at the lower end of the NBA totem pole.

But, the team that seemed in need of star power the most did finally receive some help. After battling with the Knicks for Carmelo, minority owner Jay-Z, and the New Jersey Nets, were able to make a last minute push for All-Star Deron Williams, who, with the edition of hopefully another star this offseason, will be able to lead the Nets, on their 5-year plan towards a championship.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of The Draft

Whenever I ramble to my peers about NFL prospect Cam Newton , whether it be his scrutinized college career, or his remarkable climb to the top, the most common response I receive is "Why don't you just suck his.....(ya know)". Anyway, after I wittily respond with "present it", I come back from the world of soccer , and try to re-evaluate the current Heisman Trophy Winner. Yet, no matter which way I look at it, what Mr. Newton has accomplished over the past year is remarkable. And I believe there are 32 NFL GM's who have thought exactly the same thing. The only difference is that if I think Newton is good, the worst it can do is hurt my fantasy team, whereas it could cost a team millions of dollars to invest in the Auburn Quarterback. And the same situation exists across the board for this years crop of Quarterback prospects, and for all draftees for that matter. But I'll leave the cross-examination of corners and offensive linemen to the owners, and fo

Let's Start it Up

The original inspiration for this blog was my cousin, a man who himself, during college, wrote a blog about sports. However, unlike the analytical master I have proven to be during my tenure as a blogger, he relied, perhaps to better results, on his wit and vulgarity. This lead, unfortunately, to his inability to continue his blogging career, once he got a stable job, and had a necessity for a clean image. When I began my writing, I had a similar dilemma, as I hoped my blog would look good on college applications, and thus was unable to use much vulgar language. Well now that that whole process is over, I'd like to welcome you all back, and get some things of my chest: Fuck those motherfucking Detroit Tigers , you goddamn abusers of the MLB system. A team should get like a 1-0 lead in a series for having a regular season record 10 games better than the other team. Because my Oakland A's were more than fucking deserving of an ALCS birth this year. So Justin Verlander can s

Brett Favre's Illustrious Career and 'The Viking Situation'

Seeing as this is my first post, I would like to ask for a pass in advance for any typos, or errors in my facts in any of my posts. As his career comes to an end, (hopefully) I would like to take this time to examine Brett Favre 's career and my self-entitled 'Viking Situation' , and relate it to Any Given Sunday , which seemingly hasn't been done (other than this and this , both of which fail to fully relate 'The Viking Situation'), which I believe is odd. As well, as a disclaimer, I realize that the movie does not model the current situation, given the time difference, and merely wish to offer an odd amount of similarities. Brett Favre Dennis Quaid First, and most prevalently, credit must be given where credit is due. Brett Favre is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and seemingly the toughest. His record for yards (71,838) and touchdowns (508) are hard to argue with, although he also holds the records for most times sacked and most