Skip to main content

Brett Favre's Illustrious Career and 'The Viking Situation'

Seeing as this is my first post, I would like to ask for a pass in advance for any typos, or errors in my facts in any of my posts.

As his career comes to an end, (hopefully) I would like to take this time to examine Brett Favre's career and my self-entitled 'Viking Situation', and relate it to Any Given Sunday, which seemingly hasn't been done (other than this and this, both of which fail to fully relate 'The Viking Situation'), which I believe is odd. As well, as a disclaimer, I realize that the movie does not model the current situation, given the time difference, and merely wish to offer an odd amount of similarities.

Brett Favre
Dennis Quaid
First, and most prevalently, credit must be given where credit is due. Brett Favre is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and seemingly the toughest. His record for yards (71,838) and touchdowns (508) are hard to argue with, although he also holds the records for most times sacked and most fumbles by a quarterback. Regardless, a fact that can be agreed on is that Brett Favre is an experienced NFL quarterback. A similar case exists in the 1999 Oliver Stone classic Any Given Sunday, where the once great Cap Rooney (Dennis Quaid), begins to notice the toll an extensive AFFA (like the NFL) career takes on the human body. The first comparison is the look of these two men. Though they may not strike anyone as twins, they have their similarities. But despite my thoughts on the looks of middle aged men, the similarities don't stop here. Let's start by calling the beginning of the movie December 13th, 2010, the fateful day when Brett Favre's unsurmountable amount of consecutive starts (297), finally came to a close. Relative to the movie, this is the first scene, in which Rooney and his backup (Tarvaris Jackson) are injured, making way for Willie Beamen (Jamie Foxx or for the real life scenario, Joe Webb), a gunslinging rookie that knows how to excite a croud (much like Webb). As well it is important to note that Webb and Foxx have similar numbers, 14 and 13 respectively.

At this point the movie's relative capacity switches to my 'Viking Situation'. Self defined, this situation is merely the conundrum that has been the Vikings season. First of all, the once great Sharks and above-average-last-season Vikings are in the same position, failing a fan base that is loyal yet subject to change. The go to guy, Al Pacino, has overstayed his welcome as the head coach, much to the same degree that Brad Childress managed to infuriate a previously happy Minnesota fan base. However, as Brad Childress was let go in favor of Leslie Frazier, the closest relative comparison is Aaron Eckhart, a 'by-the-numbers' offensive coordinator, who very much pleases current owner Cameron Diaz, as is evident in his rise to the head coaching position as the movie ends (much like the recent announcement that Leslie Frazier will remain the Vikings head coach next year, congratulations Leslie).

And finally, how could I ignore the largest failure of the Vikings season, the collapse of the Metrodome. much like the movie, wherein Diaz continually reaffirms that the stadium is not drawing enough fans and that Miami will not support a new one, the Vikings look like they are in the market for a new stadium immediatley. It is potentially the cherry on the top of this beautiful clusterfuck of an organization, as the horrid astroturf (really more like a carpet) stadium that hosts a struggling organization has collapsed much like the organization it self (6-10 with a loss to the lowly Detroit Lions to finish out the season).

As we can clearly see the movie is much like the current day Vikings. A tale of a football team with a veteran quarterback who is replaced by a young sprite just in time to see his head coach fired as the organization itself crumbles underneath its sad excuse for a stadium or a loyal fan base. So is Oliver Stone, or should I say Pat Toomay, the author of the novel, a genius with the ability to predict the 2010 NFL season, or simply a man telling the story of a team litered with issues.

Just to Recap:
Jack Rooney=Brett Favre
Tyler Cherubini(who?)=Tarvaris Jackson
Willie Beamen=Joe Webb
Al Pacino=Brad Childress
Aaron Eckhart=Leslie Frazier
Cameron Diaz=Zygi Wilf (not really)
Shark Stadium=The Metrodome
2001 Sharks Season=2010 Vikings Season

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of The Draft

Whenever I ramble to my peers about NFL prospect Cam Newton , whether it be his scrutinized college career, or his remarkable climb to the top, the most common response I receive is "Why don't you just suck his.....(ya know)". Anyway, after I wittily respond with "present it", I come back from the world of soccer , and try to re-evaluate the current Heisman Trophy Winner. Yet, no matter which way I look at it, what Mr. Newton has accomplished over the past year is remarkable. And I believe there are 32 NFL GM's who have thought exactly the same thing. The only difference is that if I think Newton is good, the worst it can do is hurt my fantasy team, whereas it could cost a team millions of dollars to invest in the Auburn Quarterback. And the same situation exists across the board for this years crop of Quarterback prospects, and for all draftees for that matter. But I'll leave the cross-examination of corners and offensive linemen to the owners, and fo

Let's Start it Up

The original inspiration for this blog was my cousin, a man who himself, during college, wrote a blog about sports. However, unlike the analytical master I have proven to be during my tenure as a blogger, he relied, perhaps to better results, on his wit and vulgarity. This lead, unfortunately, to his inability to continue his blogging career, once he got a stable job, and had a necessity for a clean image. When I began my writing, I had a similar dilemma, as I hoped my blog would look good on college applications, and thus was unable to use much vulgar language. Well now that that whole process is over, I'd like to welcome you all back, and get some things of my chest: Fuck those motherfucking Detroit Tigers , you goddamn abusers of the MLB system. A team should get like a 1-0 lead in a series for having a regular season record 10 games better than the other team. Because my Oakland A's were more than fucking deserving of an ALCS birth this year. So Justin Verlander can s