Skip to main content

The Art of The Draft

Whenever I ramble to my peers about NFL prospect Cam Newton, whether it be his scrutinized college career, or his remarkable climb to the top, the most common response I receive is "Why don't you just suck his.....(ya know)". Anyway, after I wittily respond with "present it", I come back from the world of soccer, and try to re-evaluate the current Heisman Trophy Winner. Yet, no matter which way I look at it, what Mr. Newton has accomplished over the past year is remarkable. And I believe there are 32 NFL GM's who have thought exactly the same thing.

The only difference is that if I think Newton is good, the worst it can do is hurt my fantasy team, whereas it could cost a team millions of dollars to invest in the Auburn Quarterback. And the same situation exists across the board for this years crop of Quarterback prospects, and for all draftees for that matter. But I'll leave the cross-examination of corners and offensive linemen to the owners, and focus instead on the head of the offense.

There are easily 6-7 quarterbacks in this years draft capable of leading a team in the 2011-12 season (pending that the season occurs); they range from the likes of Jamarcus Russell to Tom Brady, and with each of them comes a different characteristic that will either help or hurt them in the NFL

The Confidence Man
So let's start with Newton. An unbelievable runner, a modest, confident man, and a player who knows how to handle the spotlight. Sounds perfect, right? Well, in an ideal world, Newton would be great for the NFL, but (and there's always a 'but'), we all know things don't go how they are supposed to. Whether he fails to adapt to a pro system, or his lack of ability to pass into coverage begins to shine, it is very possible that Newton's career is one of major heartache. Added is the fact that every time Newton is given an opportunity (whether it be the combine or his pro day or an individual team workout), analysts and coaches alike never seem too certain in his throwing ability. They tend to chalk it up to a poor outing, or lack of chemistry with a receiver, both of which are things an NFL caliber quarterback should be able to overcome. But, in all honesty, I see many scenarios in which Newton is successful right out of the gate, acting as the Tim Tebow (if not better) of this year's draft class. His numbers speak for themselves, and his will to win is unmatched in recent memory. Thus, Newton gets a pass for now, although I would still be wary high in the draft (Carolina....Cincinnati....Arizona).

The Pretty Boy

Next, we move to the gun-slinging Mizzou Tiger, Blaine Gabbert. Immediately, when presented with Gabbert, I jump to comparisons with Ronnie Bass, the pretty-boy quarterback from Remember the Titans. Both were leaders of their teams, and both sport incredibly fashionable hair. Yes, I just compared looks on a sports blog, but if Jon Gruden can do it on ESPN, I can do it here. But Gabbert is much more than a pretty face. He is considered the most well developed quarterback in this year's draft, and most people's top choice (although Newton has gained some top-pick buzz over the past couple of weeks). But, as is the case with many quarterbacks this year, Blaine's lack of experience in a pro-style offense may prove to drop his stock.

So, who is really the best quarterback in the draft? Although Gabbert and Newton will probably be the top two off the board, I believe the riskiest prospect this year may be the best NFL player.


The 'Druggie'
Former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett has seen his NFL draft stock drop severely due to "off the field issues". But what the fuck are "off the field issues"? So he partied once or twice while at Arkansas. So he may have had some "drug scares". So what? What college kid can say they didn't? However, when I said that there are Tom Bradys and Jamarcus Russells in this draft class it is possible that they are both present in Mallett. Mallett has been criticized for his off field performance, and will to work, much like Russell, and has been noted for being too slow, much like Brady. As well he has been labeled the "quarterback with the big arm", very similarly to Russell, and we know how that worked out. His college journey was also much like the two, starting at Michigan (like Brady), and transferring to Arkansas (in the same SEC that Russell played in). His Brady-like physique has dropped Mallett's draft stock severely, and maybe that'll work out for Ryan, as he would gladly garner as much success as Mr. Brady.

So I say to all the NFL teams stressing about a quarterback in tomorrow's draft, enjoy this year's class, and don't pass up on Mallett

Comments

  1. My big question with Newton is he admitted that his playbook in college was simple as 36= a play. In the NFL verbiage is key. IF he can adapt he will be great if not, 5 years then retired?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simplicity is definitely an issue with Newton, because honestly, a lot of his throws were pretty uncontested this past year. However, a lot of that was due to his excellent play fake ability and his ability to extend the play. And hopefully he'll spend the first couple years learning, and then will be successful, although that wouldn't be possible in the Panthers system (hopefully he drops to a team with a quarterback).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brett Favre's Illustrious Career and 'The Viking Situation'

Seeing as this is my first post, I would like to ask for a pass in advance for any typos, or errors in my facts in any of my posts. As his career comes to an end, (hopefully) I would like to take this time to examine Brett Favre 's career and my self-entitled 'Viking Situation' , and relate it to Any Given Sunday , which seemingly hasn't been done (other than this and this , both of which fail to fully relate 'The Viking Situation'), which I believe is odd. As well, as a disclaimer, I realize that the movie does not model the current situation, given the time difference, and merely wish to offer an odd amount of similarities. Brett Favre Dennis Quaid First, and most prevalently, credit must be given where credit is due. Brett Favre is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and seemingly the toughest. His record for yards (71,838) and touchdowns (508) are hard to argue with, although he also holds the records for most times sacked and most

Let's Start it Up

The original inspiration for this blog was my cousin, a man who himself, during college, wrote a blog about sports. However, unlike the analytical master I have proven to be during my tenure as a blogger, he relied, perhaps to better results, on his wit and vulgarity. This lead, unfortunately, to his inability to continue his blogging career, once he got a stable job, and had a necessity for a clean image. When I began my writing, I had a similar dilemma, as I hoped my blog would look good on college applications, and thus was unable to use much vulgar language. Well now that that whole process is over, I'd like to welcome you all back, and get some things of my chest: Fuck those motherfucking Detroit Tigers , you goddamn abusers of the MLB system. A team should get like a 1-0 lead in a series for having a regular season record 10 games better than the other team. Because my Oakland A's were more than fucking deserving of an ALCS birth this year. So Justin Verlander can s