Skip to main content

Sympathy

 I am a faithful fan of the California Golden Bears. I watch Bears football through thick (and it has been very thick as of late), and thin. But when they lose, and subsequently lose bowl game hopes, it begins to become tough to care about any college football. Whereas an Alabama Crimson Tide fan can constantly be involved in their teams season and games, I am forced to continuously hope that Stanford will lose, simply out of spite.

And as I have watched my fanhood wither this season, so has my interest in college football games other than #1 v. #2 matchups... Until last night. At around 3:30 (on the west coast), I texted an acquaintance of mine: "Wisconsin Michigan St? ur house?" At this point I will concede that this was a high-profile game, and being a sports fan, it does make sense that I would be interested in this game, but it was my subconscious Badger disposition that struck me as odd as the game unfolded. I found myself hoping that Russell Wilson would make a big play, or that Montee Ball would scamper for a touchdown. But why? I am not from Wisconsin, I did not attend Wisconsin, and I certainly don't care about the Big 10 standings.

The answer to this question, I began to realize, is the propaganda juggernaut otherwise known as ESPN. Earlier in the day, I had watched an hour long special called Depth Chart, which focused on the situation at quarterback for the Badgers, from spring football to opening day. It was a great story; the injured 1st string quarterback gets replaced by a three-year starter from another school. It discussed Wilson's thorough knowledge of the offensive playbook, and highlighted his ability to execute it to perfection in a game situation. But besides all of the talk about Wilson's success at quarterback, it was the persuasive quality of the show that got me. The video games in player's apartments and pizza parties with the captains, made the Badgers seem like just average people. In addition, the interviews about the perspective season, and the occasional analysis of a player's personality added to the persuasive nature of the show.

And on Saturday night, when the Badgers entered Spartan Stadium, I was rooting for Wilson and his Badgers; I had been conditioned to root for them. Thus, it seems ESPN is almost creating fans. At least in my particular case, ESPN was able to take a fan with relatively no allegiances, and persuade them to switch sides. Yet it wasn't as if I was rooting for a team, I was rooting for the players; I wanted them to succeed. And when they lost on the last play of the game, I was truly frustrated, simply out of sympathy.

I just want ESPN to stop messing with my emotions. Their ability to subliminally produce allegiance in the heads of unsuspecting fans is deadly. I want to watch Saturday Night football with no preconceived notions about the teams; unless, of course, my Bears are on the field.

Also, here's that last play. Even though I can't watch it without feeling bad for Mr. Wilson:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of The Draft

Whenever I ramble to my peers about NFL prospect Cam Newton , whether it be his scrutinized college career, or his remarkable climb to the top, the most common response I receive is "Why don't you just suck his.....(ya know)". Anyway, after I wittily respond with "present it", I come back from the world of soccer , and try to re-evaluate the current Heisman Trophy Winner. Yet, no matter which way I look at it, what Mr. Newton has accomplished over the past year is remarkable. And I believe there are 32 NFL GM's who have thought exactly the same thing. The only difference is that if I think Newton is good, the worst it can do is hurt my fantasy team, whereas it could cost a team millions of dollars to invest in the Auburn Quarterback. And the same situation exists across the board for this years crop of Quarterback prospects, and for all draftees for that matter. But I'll leave the cross-examination of corners and offensive linemen to the owners, and fo

Let's Start it Up

The original inspiration for this blog was my cousin, a man who himself, during college, wrote a blog about sports. However, unlike the analytical master I have proven to be during my tenure as a blogger, he relied, perhaps to better results, on his wit and vulgarity. This lead, unfortunately, to his inability to continue his blogging career, once he got a stable job, and had a necessity for a clean image. When I began my writing, I had a similar dilemma, as I hoped my blog would look good on college applications, and thus was unable to use much vulgar language. Well now that that whole process is over, I'd like to welcome you all back, and get some things of my chest: Fuck those motherfucking Detroit Tigers , you goddamn abusers of the MLB system. A team should get like a 1-0 lead in a series for having a regular season record 10 games better than the other team. Because my Oakland A's were more than fucking deserving of an ALCS birth this year. So Justin Verlander can s

Brett Favre's Illustrious Career and 'The Viking Situation'

Seeing as this is my first post, I would like to ask for a pass in advance for any typos, or errors in my facts in any of my posts. As his career comes to an end, (hopefully) I would like to take this time to examine Brett Favre 's career and my self-entitled 'Viking Situation' , and relate it to Any Given Sunday , which seemingly hasn't been done (other than this and this , both of which fail to fully relate 'The Viking Situation'), which I believe is odd. As well, as a disclaimer, I realize that the movie does not model the current situation, given the time difference, and merely wish to offer an odd amount of similarities. Brett Favre Dennis Quaid First, and most prevalently, credit must be given where credit is due. Brett Favre is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and seemingly the toughest. His record for yards (71,838) and touchdowns (508) are hard to argue with, although he also holds the records for most times sacked and most