Skip to main content

The Phenomena of Dick-Riding in Sports (Athletes)

I have begun to notice as of late, that media outlets such as ESPN, or any newspaper, have a habit of renewing their passion for a player after he does something spectacular. And I say renew because they pretend like they always new he was great. As well, there are cases of people actually having always been good, and in that case, dick-riding is acceptable. However, I refuse to even open my ears when I begin to hear "This is a guy that has been overlooked during his career, but I always saw his true potential", or some bullshit along those lines. After all, what really gives anyone beside Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay, who actually spend their entire lives analyzing NFL Draft prospects, the ability to judge anyone? But my hatred for ESPN analysts whose credentials include a six-year career with eight teams will have to be saved for another day.

For now, we examine the phenomena of players that tend to suddenly rise to power. Very regularly, this trend occurs in college sports, and for that reason, we will stay in the realm of professional sports. As well, it is important to note that these aren't just cases of an athlete "busting", but rather being unnecessarily praised.

The first time I noticed this happen was in 2005. After a riveting season of NFL football, the season culminated in a Super Bowl between the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Seattle Seahawks. Among the stars headlining the game was Seahawk running back Shaun Alexander. And although Shaun had been a premier running back for the previous two years in the league, he received praise after praise from analysts across the league. He would go on to be on the cover of Madden the following year, and after that........exactly. Alexander was released in the '07 season, and never really regained his footing in the league. At this point in time I began to realize that there was a trend in professional sports of dick-riding, although I didn't give it that label at the time.


In the MLB, this trend most commonly manifests in the form of a no-hitter. It happened with Dallas Braden, it happened with Matt Garza, it happened with Edwin Jackson. All three threw no-hitters last year, and Dallas Braden threw a perfect game. And immediately after the game, analysts jumped on their dicks, literally. I can't remember how many times I heard an analyst say that they've been following the pitcher since he began his career, and always knew that he could do something like this. BUT WAIT!!! What about the 10 or so defensive 'web jems' that were most likely committed in favor of these pitching "prodigies". Or the fact that teams, especially the bad ones who usually were responsible for the zero hits in these games, can have bad days, and often do. Thus, maybe there's just a little bit of luck here, and not a pitcher no one ever knew making it big. And although many no-hitters are pitched by star pitchers, I think three examples of duds, outweigh the pitching studs.

This Big Fuck
And finally, the reason this post even matters. Last night, Dirk Nowitzki scored 48 points, on 12-15 from the field, and 24-24 from the line. Possibly one of the best playoff performances of all time. There's no arguing there. The conundrum occurred about 30 seconds after the game, when people across the country watching ESPN would have seen a whole infographic, with interviews and analysis, take place, praising the big German. There's no arguing that Nowitzki has always been good, but ESPN immediately began riding his dick, as if they had discovered him hiding in a cave or something. I've got news, you didn't. Anyone with a brain knows Nowitzki is a good player, and anyone could see how well he played last night.

So no, we don't need you to help us see that he played well. And don't lie and pretend like you were the only person who saw him play.

Hopefully, this all makes sense, as sometimes posts written in rage do not. But trust me, I am doing my best to bring this trend to an end, and next time, I'll tell you about how this happens on a larger scale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of The Draft

Whenever I ramble to my peers about NFL prospect Cam Newton , whether it be his scrutinized college career, or his remarkable climb to the top, the most common response I receive is "Why don't you just suck his.....(ya know)". Anyway, after I wittily respond with "present it", I come back from the world of soccer , and try to re-evaluate the current Heisman Trophy Winner. Yet, no matter which way I look at it, what Mr. Newton has accomplished over the past year is remarkable. And I believe there are 32 NFL GM's who have thought exactly the same thing. The only difference is that if I think Newton is good, the worst it can do is hurt my fantasy team, whereas it could cost a team millions of dollars to invest in the Auburn Quarterback. And the same situation exists across the board for this years crop of Quarterback prospects, and for all draftees for that matter. But I'll leave the cross-examination of corners and offensive linemen to the owners, and fo

Let's Start it Up

The original inspiration for this blog was my cousin, a man who himself, during college, wrote a blog about sports. However, unlike the analytical master I have proven to be during my tenure as a blogger, he relied, perhaps to better results, on his wit and vulgarity. This lead, unfortunately, to his inability to continue his blogging career, once he got a stable job, and had a necessity for a clean image. When I began my writing, I had a similar dilemma, as I hoped my blog would look good on college applications, and thus was unable to use much vulgar language. Well now that that whole process is over, I'd like to welcome you all back, and get some things of my chest: Fuck those motherfucking Detroit Tigers , you goddamn abusers of the MLB system. A team should get like a 1-0 lead in a series for having a regular season record 10 games better than the other team. Because my Oakland A's were more than fucking deserving of an ALCS birth this year. So Justin Verlander can s

Brett Favre's Illustrious Career and 'The Viking Situation'

Seeing as this is my first post, I would like to ask for a pass in advance for any typos, or errors in my facts in any of my posts. As his career comes to an end, (hopefully) I would like to take this time to examine Brett Favre 's career and my self-entitled 'Viking Situation' , and relate it to Any Given Sunday , which seemingly hasn't been done (other than this and this , both of which fail to fully relate 'The Viking Situation'), which I believe is odd. As well, as a disclaimer, I realize that the movie does not model the current situation, given the time difference, and merely wish to offer an odd amount of similarities. Brett Favre Dennis Quaid First, and most prevalently, credit must be given where credit is due. Brett Favre is arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and seemingly the toughest. His record for yards (71,838) and touchdowns (508) are hard to argue with, although he also holds the records for most times sacked and most